Stephen King’s imagination has brought countless hours of entertainment to movie-going audiences with such classics as The Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Stand By Me, and The Green Mile (to name a few); however, his work has inspired some pretty awful productions as well, like Graveyard Shift, The Mangler, and The Langoliers. We have lived in a King-infused world for so long that we’re now seeing remakes of his films, both in theaters and on TV. King himself wrote a mini-series remake of The Shining, having been dissatisfied with Stanley Kubrick‘s version; there have been two TV movies of Salem’s Lot; Carrie was remade for television (with a theatrical remake in the works); a very different version of King’s directorial debut, Maximum Overdrive, was produced as a TV movie, renamed Trucks; it seems that Ben Affleck will direct a big-screen variation of The Stand, of which Stephen King himself scribed the mini-series; talks of remaking It and Pet Sematary have been bandied about. All of this when there are still many books and short stories King wrote that have yet to be produced (Under the Dome and 11/22/63 are in development as an HBO mini-series and a theatrical film, respectively).
What say you? Are there King feature films, TV movies, or mini-series that could stand a fresh coat of paint and a re-invisioning by a different filmmaker? Are any of them so perfect that they should be left alone (or conversely so bad that they should never have been made in the first place, let alone remade)? Are any of these productions more appropriate for a different medium, so that a theatrical movie should be done for the small screen, or vice versa? Take the following polls and voice your opinion.
copyright © 2012 FilmVerse
- Stephen King’s #1 Fans (FilmVerse)
- A Mixed Bag of Bones (FilmVerse)
- 10 Movies from the ’80′s That Should be Remade (FlimVerse)
- Classic Movies Most People Don’t Realize Are Remakes (FilmVerse)
- Stephen King’s IT Fan Art – They All Float (geektyrant.com)
- Stephen King Film And Television Adaptations (Excluding The Sequels And Remakes), In Order (theawl.com)
- Stephen King Movie Club: Salem’s Lot (skfancast.wordpress.com)
- Maximum Overdrive Movie Review ~ By Sam (greencarbon2112.wordpress.com)
- Kimberly Peirce Sought to Direct CARRIE Remake (geektyrant.com)